Ahhhh, it is an exciting time indeed: the start of your new venture.  Finally, your vision, your dream, is becoming reality.  However, by becoming an entrepreneur, you have decided to start swimming in a sea of risk. That is why now is the time to remember the old adage: "an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure."  To secure your assets and protect yourself and your business from lawsuits and regulatory infractions, follow the start-up legal solutions outlined below.  


You should conduct a search to ensure that your business name is not confusingly similar to another company offering similar goods or service in your geographic area.   

  •  Though not required under law, once you have chosen an available business name, you should consider filing a trademark to protect your business name and logo.


Choosing the right structure for your business can protect owners' personal assets from business debts and liabilities and certain provide tax benefits.

File The paperwork to form your business


(Do It Yourself Resources)

If you are starting a business in New York State click here

If you are starting a business in other states, use the links below:



For your business to be in good standing, you need to draft and operate your business based on the appropriate governance documents. 


corp docs.jpg


Depending on the Business Structure You Choose, You Will Require Different Types of Governance Documents:



  • By-laws
  • Initial Organizational Resolutions of The Board of Directors
  • Stock Certificates


  • Operating Agreement  



  • Partnership Agreements



  • No Governing Document Required

To Get The Business Governance Documents You Need, You Can:

  1. Hire an attorney to draft them;
  2. Purchase them from Low Cost Providers; or
  3. SUBSCRIBE & get FREE Governance Document Template


Obtain the required state, county, and local governments licenses to operate your business. 

CLICK HERE to find the permits and licenses your business needs (NEW YORK)

CLICK HERE to find the permits and licenses your business needs (OTHER STATES)


All incorporated businesses that have employees must have an employee identification number (also know as an EIN). This is essentially your business' social security number and you will also need it if you intend to open a business account.  EINs are issued by the IRS. 

CLICK HERE to apply for EIN

CLICK HERE to find out if you need an Employment Identification Number (EIN)


By using this site you agree that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and The Legal Curator.

The Legal Curator presents the legal information on this website as a service to members of the general public. While the information on this site is about legal issues, it is not intended as legal advice or as a substitute for the particularized advice of your own counsel.  If you are seeking specific legal advice or assistance, you should retain an attorney.






If you created an LLC or C-Corp in the State of New York, you must file a Biennial Statement with the Department of Revenue every two years after the date of formation. The New York Department of State will mail the appropriate form to you within a month of the due date.



Click on the links to find the follow-up filing for States for LLC or C-Corps.

We Recommend


This web site could include inaccuracies or typographical errors. The materials on this website do not constitute legal advice, do not necessarily reflect the opinions of  The Legal Curator  or any of its employees, and are not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up-to-date.

These links to third party sites or information are not intended as, and should not be interpreted by you as constituting or implying our endorsement, sponsorship, or recommendation of the third party information, products, or services found there. We do not maintain or control these sites and, accordingly, make no guarantee concerning the accuracy, reliability, or currency of the information found there.